[sugar] G1G1v2 Activities

pgf at laptop.org pgf
Thu Sep 18 12:33:39 EDT 2008

benjamin m. schwartz wrote:
 > Chris Ball wrote:
 > | So, we shipped 19 activities with G1G1v1; that means the ten activities
 > | people vote for here are likely to be a subset of that list, and we
 > | aren't learning much about what new things we should include.  People
 > | replying might decide to give 20 suggestions instead of 10, or to omit
 > | original G1G1 activities from their list.
 > |

 > Also, G1G1v1 shipped with the old Sugar interface, which made managing
 > large numbers of installed Activities very difficult.  By contrast, the
 > new Sugar UI means that we could easily ship 100 Activities, with only 15
 > starred by default.  Activities' average size on disk varies
 > substantially, but many simpler ones are only about 100 KB, compressed.
 > 100 Activities * 100 KB = 10 MB, or 1% of the disk.  Each additional
 > Activity provides more opportunity for exploration, and makes the
 > experience more enjoyable, so I would advocate for shipping as many as
 > possible.

i disagree, to the extent that the activities appear on the laptop
in a completely unorganized fashion -- there's no real notion of
topic, or testedness, or age-appropriateness.  too many can make
the prospect of exploring them overwhelming, especially given how
long it takes to try them, and that most of the names bear almost
no relation to the content.  i think it's better to ship a a good
representative sample, and clear instructions (somewhere -- is it
at least in a pre-loaded library page?) on how to explore and get
more from our wiki.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org