[sugar] Finale: consider merging a few fun Sugar patches?

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Wed Sep 17 20:30:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We've reached the last call for changes before final test and, in the
> hopes of ending our development cycle on a playful note, I'd like to ask
> the sugar team to consider whether they'd be comfortable reviewing and
> merging a couple of the outstanding UI patches like Scott's "alternate
> layouts" patches [1] and Martin's "network feedback" patches [2].
>
> Sugar team: you can nix the idea if it seems too risky, if the patches
> aren't baked, or if it would take too much time to accomplish, but if
> you're willing to step up and handle the review, merge, and testing,
> then I think it would a joyous finale to a remarkable development cycle.

Hello,

I would like to, but we have still blockers on our plates... What
about this kind of deal:

* At *very* high level the patch sets looks sane. I would be
comfortable with them going in if Scott reviews Martin set, and Martin
reviews Scott set.
* The patches are large and I don't think it's impossible that they
would cause regressions. Our release manager should be aware of it and
keep loving us if it happens.
* I would help by getting packages in the builds and doing a bit of testing.

> P.P.S. - Eben mentioned to me that he was concerned that people might
> falsely interpret some of the new 8.2.0 Sugar APIs as stable when they
> are, in fact, almost certain to change in the next major release. I
> would find it commendable if some Sugar developer took this last
> opportunity to add some bold comments to the relevant APIs warning
> developers who examine them about this probable future breakage.

Eben, what APIs are you thinking about? In general the whole Sugar API
will need to be reviewed. I have yet to figure out when, how and what
kind of backward compatibility we offer. It's something I'll be
working on in the next few weeks.

Marco