[sugar] Sugar on the BeagleBoard using the OpenEmbedded toolkit.

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Wed Sep 3 16:14:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> Op 22 aug 2008, om 02:29 heeft David Farning het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Welcome to the Sugar on the BeagleBoard project.  It seems that we have
>> all of the pieces in place to do a port.

Very good. Thank you.

I see that BeagleBoards list at $149. Do you have any idea of quantity
pricing? Apparently TI sells them only through Digikey, which only
gives single-unit prices on its site. I can see applications for data
acquisition and control worldwide, as well as for teaching embedded
systems development. I am thinking of possibilities for placement of
systems through microfinance, assuming that we can find and document
ways to increase income using BeagleBoard+Sugar more efficiently than
by other methods.

I assume that OE is intended to be all Free Software, and I see
scattered references to GPL 2 in the Wiki, but I don't see a clear
statement on licensing on the main page or in the FAQ. Can somebody
write one? Also, one or more architecture pages showing the toolchain,
relationships with other Free Software projects, and the structure of
the resulting builds?

>> First, some background.
>>
>> The initial port will be getting Sugar[1] to run on the Beagleboard[2]
>> using the Open Embedded[3] toolkit.
>
> The basics (sugar, sugar-base, sugar-toolkit, sugar-presence-services and
> sugar-artwork) are now running on the beagleboard:
>
> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/sugar-running-?ngstr?m
>
> To build it using OE: 'bitbake sugar'
> To install it in angstrom*: 'opkg install sugar'
>
> The Glucose pack is missing sugar-datastore (needs a lot of python modules
> that aren't in OE yet), etoys (haven't looked at that yet) and journal
> (haven't looked at that either).
> The Fructose pack is completely missing in OE.
>
> The remaining tasks for people wanting to work on this are:
>
> 1) add OE recipes for needed python-modules
> 2) add OE recipes for remaining Glucose items
> 3) add OE recipes for Fructose items
> 4) build it
> 5) install resulting packages and run them, see them crash due to missing
> python modules, goto 1
> 6) make screenshots :)
>
> regards,
>
> Koen
>
> * only has armv7a packages at the moment

Silent Thunder [ ?? / ???????? / ????? ? ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Six Worlds are my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.