[sugar] Developing activities.

Samuel Klein sj
Tue Sep 2 17:50:32 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> this a few time over the last few months.  Now that we are getting
> distro (other the OLPC) related comments the time seems right

> on activity developer related issues.

Please don't fork sugar and activities lists without need!  Regardless of
where these lists are hosted, we should have one of each.  olpc already has
a general olpc-only devel list, the sugar and activities lists aren't meant
to be so restricted.

3.  Improve API documentation.  Last week at the Book Sprint, I met a
> professional writer who does Python api documentation for a living.  She
> is willing to help us get our documentation processes set up and get us
> started.

+1

> 4.  Work on the getting involved documentation on the Sugar Wiki.
>
> 5.  Move the Sugar documentation from w.l.o to w.s.o.  When I started
> this move a few moths ago, I am afraid that it was seen as a power grab
> for Sugar Labs.  I will restart this move if I receive buy-in and
> support from OLPC personal.

As I mentioned then, we should pool bot expertise and set up some good
bots.
There is a reasonable tradition of soft redirects -- preserving existing
pages and first adding a header that says "this is a mirror of info at
<link>, to edit or see the latest info please go to <source site>", then
replacing that text with a template that indicatesd the cross-site
redirect.  [you don't want to remove the original since inbound links point
to it]

> 6. Using AMO as an activities server.  There are many advantages to
> using Amo as an activity server. The issues that i ran into was the need
> to push some patches back to mozilla to abstract the types of files AMO
> serves.  With the patch set, modifing amo to meet our needs would be
> pretty straight forward.  Without the patches being accepted we would
> have to fork the code amo codebase.

Does amo provide a way for visitors/users to export data from it?

SJ