[sugar] A few questions.

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Tue Sep 2 14:31:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Christopher Sawtell <csawtell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greets,
>
> 1)  Is this the correct list to ask simplistic questions? If not could
> somebody please direct me to the correct list.

An excellent place for getting started. No, we have no separate
"newbies" list. We frequently put new user questions into a FAQ on the
Wiki, and you are welcome to do so yourself.

> 2)  As I live in NZ a genuine hardware XO is utter vapour ware for me,

Not necessarily. There are deployments being readied all over Oceania.

> so I have to either use the sugar packages as published by the Ubuntu
> folks, or to Install VirtualBox and run an image. The question is:
> which road should I take? If you suggest the image in a VirtualBox
> route, I would be grateful as to a suggestion as to which one, there
> are _so_ many. I hope to run the XO apps. on a T41 ThinkPad.

I run on all three routes, but I am well known not to be the average user.

> 3) I am preparing a simplistic little "Counting Book for 21st Century
> Children". So I need to know whether the standard XO file set has a
> PDF reader as standard?

I want to see your draft. (I have a degree in math, and I have been a
classroom teacher at every level from preschool to graduate.)

What tools are you using to create it? I would like to suggest
building it as an interactive Etoys activity. We can get you
programming assistance.

> TIA
>
> --
> Sincerely etc.
> Christopher Sawtell

Silent Thunder [ ?? / ???????? / ????? ? ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Six Worlds are my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.