[sugar] Release Cycle - Responsibilities

David Farning dfarning
Mon Sep 1 18:06:21 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 01:46 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:47 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> > 5.  Separate OLPC deployment support developers from the Sugar Labs
> > development develops.  In the last cycle it appeared that developers and
> > managers split their time between support and developments.  As a
> > result, no one was able to gain much momentum on either goal.
>
> I agree that it would be optimal and that it's currently a big stopper
> for the new development. But what's the solution? The OLPC Sugar team
> (3 full time developers) is too small to be able to split it up
> between support and development.

We have already made great progress in that direction.  Simon did a
great job releasing .82.  You are taking the lead on future development.

At this stage, it is pretty inevitable that OLPC would want their devs
to focus on support rather then future development.

As long as you are clearly communicating the roadmap for the next
release, we can:

1.  Help our current contributors become more productive.
2.  Engage new voluntary developers.
3.  Engage stakeholders to hire developers to work on Sugar.

thanks
dfarning