[sugar] [IAEP] Sugar on Ubuntu LiveUSB is ready

David Van Assche dvanassche
Fri Oct 31 20:01:30 EDT 2008

The politics are far more complicated, edubuntu used to be a thriving
community, which prompted Canonical to market the Educational side
more and use the Ubuntu branding rather than edubuntu. It caused some
confusion and the community sort of migrated to various areas, the
most notable being LTSP. The main 'paid' edubuntu developer was moved
to edubuntu netbook remix (also an education project) but is still
quite active in upstream LTSP and edubuntu support. The
marketing/education contracts guy is still paid by canonical and
working on the educational side, so I wouldn't say they've given up,
they've just made some strange re-branding decisions. Anyway, there is
more info at the meeting next wednesday 18.00 UTC at #ubuntu-meeting
for those interested in hearing the future of edubuntu and ubuntu in
education, as well as how sugar can play a role there. I believe
Morgan Collet will be presenting Sugar there.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche