[sugar] USB Based Community Access - What could work technically?

Luke Faraone luke
Thu Oct 30 20:44:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 20:05, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Caroline Meeks <
> caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:
>>
>>> *Clinic next door to a School* - A health clinic located right next door
>>> Sasha's school has a close partnership with the school. Many students are
>>> scene there so they decided to add a donated computer to their waiting room
>>> just for kids to use Sugar. This computer still has its hard-drive, but its
>>> dedicated for Sugar. Some of the basic sugar files are located on the hard
>>> drive and it is set up to allow students to log out rather then shutting
>>> down and restarting between each student.
>>>
>>> This is an very interesting idea. A hybrid harddrive usb solutions.  From
>>> a technology perspective it would not be that hard to implement.  When the
>>> computer boots from the hard drive it waits at a login prompt for the user
>>> to either login or insert a USB with the users /home directory.  The current
>>> generation of linux distribution has excellent support for DBUS to
>>> communicate the status of hot swapped devices such as USBs.

Great idea. We can also make the USB stick (assuming it has enough storage)
bootable, allowing for use wherever.

> *The Zoo*: ....
>>>
>>> This seems very similar to the clinic.
>>

>> Interestingly when I discussed this with Marco the Zoo is hard use case.
>> Everywhere else we can assume the kids are all attending the same school
>> district, thus we can assume they are all running the same version of
>> Sugar.  For the Zoo we might have kids from different towns all coming with
>> Sugar USBs but different versions.  This might be harder to support.

Well, assuming that the host has a few gigs of harddrive space, we can
suggest that the Zoo keeps muliple sugar versions (say... a copy of each one
that was backwards/forwards incompatable, a list we'd provide).

-lf