[sugar] 9.1 Proposal: Report cards on XO

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos
Wed Oct 22 16:12:40 EDT 2008

I like it! I agree that the "unique identifier" is essential to the
solution.  I have also proposed there be some identifier for the work
itself.

The way that would work, the teacher uploads the work assignment, to the
server.

That has a unique tag.  The kids download that, which adds their own
unique tag to the document.  They do the work, they upload it back.
The teacher can access the work, which is neatly sorted out by the
original assignment tag.  As the teacher works grading and commenting,
this is uploaded back to the server, where it is neatly sorted out by
the student tag, thus leaving a longitudinal record of the kid's work.
There is a teacher on-line module that makes it easy to seek by
assignment, student, date, etc.

I wish there were a way for the teacher to work off-line too.  It is not
assured they will have access to the server, actually that will be
likely an exception for quite a while.

If I were a teacher I would like this look-and-feel
* ability to remark inside the work, in a different color maybe? so as
to deal with misspellings, edits.

* ability to assign comments on a codicil that would become attached to
the work, that would become sort of an XML field that could be
visualized besides the student work.  Tags I proposed were "good stuff",
"stuff to improve", "other" and also some field for the kid's feedback.
Some of those comments could be generic boilerplate I would want to have
on a drop-down list of choices.  Life is short, and when you're a
teacher it feels even shorter,  some time-saving tools are welcome.

* whatever it is it has to be simple and fast.  If I need to create a
separate Write document, switch between the kid's work and my comments,
pack it and send it to the kids, that is way way too much work.  If it
is something that only takes 2 minutes, let's see 3 minutes to read the
thing, 2 minutes to comment, 30 kids, that's 1 hour 40 per evening, for
Language Arts each evening, still a lot.  Every second in making this
faster and easier adds up real quick.

* it might be interesting to incorporate in some ideal future comment
fields for kids to comment on each other's work, but that has no
priority at first in my view.

If the end result ends up in the kid's machine automagically as a PDF it
would simplify for kids and parents to follow up and such.