[sugar] 9.1 Proposal: Report cards on XO

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Wed Oct 22 14:07:20 EDT 2008

I'm not sure that such an idea actually requires a special activity,
or a "report card" template with preset fields. It seems to me that
the item of importance is the ability for the teacher to give each kid
an immutable object which they may then view on their XO, and take
home to show their parents.  This object might be a .pdf, or it might
be an image, or it might be something else, but the teacher could
create such an object in Write, or in a spreadsheet activity, or in
whatever suits their needs best.

It seems to me that the more interesting part of this problem is the
distribution method.  Unlike a homework assignment where the teacher
could share an activity, or (in the future) send an object to everyone
in the class group, there is need to distribute files individually to
the kids by some unique identifier.  Perhaps this is the place where
an "Evaluate" activity does have it's place.  If done well, a fresh
instance of the activity could provide a way for a teacher to fill out
evaluations (or import in their desired format!) and identify which
kid each belongs to.  Then, upon sharing that single evaluation
activity with the class, each kid would receive *only* their own
evaluation from the shared instance.  That instance would then, every
time they open it, simply be a viewer for that particular evaluation.
This is a good example where the master-slave (usually discouraged in
Sugar) would actually work.

- Eben