[sugar] [Server-devel] 9.1 Proposal: Printing support

Yama Ploskonka yama
Tue Oct 21 14:33:48 EDT 2008

hey Jeff, seems I got the bad end of that broadside...

I am developing things for Bolivia, and I am known as someone who makes
virtue out of lack of resources.
That is why I (you're entitled to your opinion) see the lack of printing
as a good thing - discourages the use of very, very limited resources.

I also see the lack of access to MS Windows as positive - it sure means
less access to the biggest amount of available educational software,
ready to use for a few cents as pirateware, but all the issues of
viruses and moral weight of knowingly stealing.
Likewise I am not worried about horrible connectivity in my area - that
just means we have to be even better at building up our local community,
since we have less access to the international one.  It does upset me,
sure, but it's something to turn into an advantage...

Oh yes, I wish it were different, that we had enough resources to do
things differently, and I am quite encouraged, even if you and I differ
on this one point, that we do agree on the need for a very solid server
with lotsa goodies in it, making a deployment less dependent of the
internet.

Interesting your take on ideological reasons for / against printing
support.  I myself see printing is currently a need of the richer
partners, since  in Bolivia there very seldom is a budget for printing
supplies or any kind of maintenance, but I might be limiting the project
to my own tunnel-vision.

Yama