[sugar] [9.1 Proposal] i18n and l10n: 9.1 and beyond

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Fri Oct 17 16:37:24 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> c) Language packs: The current system of language packs is not very
> reliable (it overwrites the original translations in the system,
> installations cannot be easily undone, no versioning, etc). I want to
> switch to a RPM based language pack system for 9.1, which will be
> easier to deploy (especially if the customization key mechanism gets
> support for RPM). This will require support for multiple locale
> directories, and I'll talk about that as well  (Ubuntu uses a similar
> approach - I plan to reuse their patches if possible).

We've talked about this before on sugar@ I think, and we'll no doubt
talk more at the XOcamp, but I prefer reusing as much of the 'activity
bundle' mechanisms as possible, so that language packs can be
installed/removed/upgraded "just like" activity and content bundles.
Mostly this means supporting language packs which are installed in
/home, not just ones installed in /, but I'd like to think about
unifying the various "bundles" into a consistent format.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )