[sugar] Feature freeze for 0.84

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Fri Oct 17 15:24:03 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
>> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Actually feature freeze is 21 December. We might decide to push it off a
>> > bit, but I don't think it will go after 18 February. So I think we are
>> > good
>> > in respect of Ubuntu schedule!
>>
>> Hm.  Looks like OLPC will skip 0.84 entirely then and take 0.86 or so.
>>  I suppose we'll hammer this out at the planning meetings.
>
> Why? If you see my answer to your mail, I'm saying that I'm favourable to a
> sleep of one month. 21 January, if you are serious about releasing in March,
> seems like a decent date. Also, 0.86 will be in September, so I can't see
> why OLPC would possibly skip 0.84...

Let's hammer this out in person at the planning meeting, because it
depends on OLPC picking a release date.  I've been arguing for March,
but I don't think there is consensus on that yet.  If OLPC aims for
early March, and you slip Sugar feature freeze to late January, then
you're right, we're reasonably consistent.  If OLPC decides to aim for
April or later, however, then it seems we're getting out of sync.

I'd like to avoid the situation we had in 8.2, where sugar was in
string freeze while OLPC was still in active development, with lots of
major features not even written yet.  We worked that out very
successfully, via lots of "special exceptions" to the string freeze,
but I'd like to try to avoid having to go that way in 9.1 if we can.
It would be better if we all just agree on some dates.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )