[sugar] Announce: Screencast activity.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Fri Oct 17 04:44:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started work on a Screencast activity tonight.  It's a frontend to
> recordMyDesktop, which is the program Scott used for his screencasts.
> Having a program on the XO that's capable of preparing shareable
> tutorials could help out a lot with support, by allowing walkthroughs
> to be prepared by children, teachers, and the rest of us.

Sounds awesome!

> The activity is (barely) functional now, including Journal integration.
> The UI is entirely unpolished.
>
> Large bugs:
>  * When you're resuming a screencast from the Journal, you have to
>    mouseover "Resume" and choose Browse from the dropdown, rather than
>    just clicking Resume.  Is there a way to tell Sugar that I don't want
>    my activity to be an option for opening the video/ogg files that it
>    creates but doesn't know how to play?

If you are using write_file, then you are supposed to store in the
journal an entry that can be resumed in such a way that the user will
continue with what she was doing from the point she stopped.

If you want to store in the journal just the product of the activity
to date, then you need to create yourself a new object, add some
metadata and send it there. Record is doing something similar, other
than with an entry for every media object produced:

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=activities/record;a=blob;f=serialize.py;h=f86c373a4aa98d9858d370429cb6123750cbc050;hb=HEAD#l301

HTH,

Tomeu