[sugar] Meeting about the journal

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Wed Oct 15 20:57:49 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> I chatted a bit with Eben on how to go forward on the Journal, and we think
> it would be good to make it *the* topic for tomorrow design meeting. Are you
> able to make it? It's at 11.30 your time, on irc.
>
> There are two main things that I really want to figure out:
>
> * What is the actual UI going to look like. The tagging system you are
> proposing is really nice and it would good to start iterating on mockups for
> it, so that we can get Eben and Christian signoffs :)
> * How we are going to integrate it in the code base. In particular activity
> API break (or compatibility) is something we will need to nail down soon.
>
> Do you think your ideas are mature enough for this kind of discussion? Or do
> you need more time to evolve the prototype before starting the actual
> implementation discussion?

It's not premature, but we probably won't nail down "the" answer yet.
I've already got mockups and more, but there are some corner cases I
don't know the answers for.

Activities can just use GtkFileChooser.  Someone should write an
adapter to bridge for activities which expect the old Journal
interface, but I'm not quite ready to start working on that yet.
Maybe in a week or two.

Anyway, we can discuss this more tomorrow am.  I'll be in at work
tomorrow am; poke me or one of the early risers on IRC (pgf, erikg,
etc) if I don't remember to log in, tune in, etc.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )