[sugar] code contributions to Sugar (was Re: Sugar Clock)

Gary C Martin gary
Wed Oct 15 13:56:06 EDT 2008

On 15 Oct 2008, at 09:30, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>> P.S. I think this is a good example of why contributing to Sugar is
>> necessarily hard.  Many small technical contributions from the
>> community
>> require significant policy decisions by the leaders.  When Sugar's
>> subsystems are as mature and rationalized as the kernel's, then
>> perhaps we
>> will be able to add small components without needing big decisions,
>> but
>> that point is still years away.
>
> Anybody has ideas about how we could improve this? One thing that may
> help is the recent refactoring that Marco made in the shell. Adding a
> clock widget to the frame is now a matter of dropping a .py file in
> the extensions/deviceicon directory. What else needs to happen?

I guess the other obvious one just now where  a .py + icon could be
nice drop-ins, would be in adding custom layouts (as currently used by
the Home view). Walter has some nice Sugar hacking written-up already:

	http://en.flossmanuals.net/Sugar/ModifyingSugar

--Gary