[sugar] Viewing PDFs from Browse

Walter Bender walter.bender
Sat Oct 11 11:04:08 EDT 2008

Does it even make sense to make annotation tools for PDF as a general
concept? Why try to distort a proprietary, read-only data format into
something it isn't. Wouldn't we be better served by converting from
PDF to an open RW format when we save the files?

-walter

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> The user couldn't annotate a file they don't "have".  Obviously we
> have to download the bits to a temporary location to view them, but in
> the normal paradigm of the web, nothing is permanently kept unless you
> explicitly download it.  Perhaps an attempt to navigate away from the
> page could ask if you wanted to keep it around or not, but I'd just as
> soon expose the keep button and have kids learn to keep only what they
> actually want.  Everything on the web is transient unless you grab
> something while you can.
>
> It doesn't really make sense to me to add annotation tools and such to
> the pdf viewer in Browse for this reason.  It should remain limited to
> handy viewing controls, saving the annotation tools for Read once the
> document is local, I feel. (As an analogy, you wouldn't expect to be
> able draw on top of or otherwise edit an image within Browse, right?
> You'd be able to zoom, pan, *maybe* rotate; but you'd download it and
> edit it in an activity designed for that purpose.)
>
> - Eben
>

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:

>>> Of course.  Basically, the following would happen:
>>>
>>> 1. Child clicks on a link to a pdf (or "natively supported media type")
>>> 2. Browse displays the pdf directly, with the contextual toolbar
>>> 3. Browse does not yet interact with the DS; this is just part of what it does
>>>
>>> (Stopping here would result in no Journal entry, apart from the Browse one)
>>
>> Not sure about it, if the user spent some good time reading (and
>> perhaps annotating) the PDF, shouldn't the journal record this in the
>> same way it tries to record all worthy interaction with the machine?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tomeu

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs