[sugar] Putting stuff inside the datastore for non-activities

Bert Freudenberg bert
Fri Oct 10 17:36:44 EDT 2008

Am 10.10.2008 um 23:24 schrieb Sayamindu Dasgupta:

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta
>> <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> The sugar-almanac has a nice guide on how put stuff inside the
>>> datastore programmatically
>>> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar.datastore.datastore#How_do_I_save_a_simple_text_file_to_the_datastore.3F
>>> )
>>> However, it makes the assumption that the method is being called
>>> from
>>> a sugar activity. (file_path =
>>> os.path.join(self.get_activity_root(),
>>> 'instance', filename))
>>> Can anyone tell me where to put in a file if I am not calling this
>>> from within an activity ?
>>
>> afaik you can put it wherever you like. copy-to-journal for example
>> is
>> just writing an existing file to the DS...
>>

> Yes - but in my case, I have a file in tmp (created by mozplugger)
> which I need to move to the journal. I can't keep the file in tmp (as
> in copy-to-journal), since it may get deleted, and I can't write in
> random places in /home/olpc (rainbow might not like that). In that
> case, what would be the safest place to store the file ?

The datastore will make a copy - don't worry, just hand it the file
from /tmp.

Btw, rainbow only isolates activities, so if your code is not running
from an activity you can freely write in the olpc home directory.

However, if I understand correctly you are in mozplugger which is
running inside the Browse activity so you could use the activity root
directory if indeed needed (see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#File_Access
  ).

- Bert -