[sugar] Putting stuff inside the datastore for non-activities

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Fri Oct 10 17:24:13 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta
> <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> The sugar-almanac has a nice guide on how put stuff inside the
>> datastore programmatically
>> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar.datastore.datastore#How_do_I_save_a_simple_text_file_to_the_datastore.3F)
>> However, it makes the assumption that the method is being called from
>> a sugar activity. (file_path = os.path.join(self.get_activity_root(),
>> 'instance', filename))
>> Can anyone tell me where to put in a file if I am not calling this
>> from within an activity ?
>
> afaik you can put it wherever you like. copy-to-journal for example is
> just writing an existing file to the DS...

Yes - but in my case, I have a file in tmp (created by mozplugger)
which I need to move to the journal. I can't keep the file in tmp (as
in copy-to-journal), since it may get deleted, and I can't write in
random places in /home/olpc (rainbow might not like that). In that
case, what would be the safest place to store the file ?

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta