[sugar] [Cross Posted] High res screenshots of Sugar

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Fri Oct 10 12:35:47 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Am 10.10.2008 um 18:02 schrieb Sayamindu Dasgupta:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de
>> > wrote:
>> Yeah - that's what confused me :-S
>>
>>> If it's too hard to educate their art department, just make a
>>> screenshot and
>>> adjust the dpi in PhotoShop to 300. They won't notice.
>>
>> But don't you think the print process will break in that case ?

Be sure to find out if they really need 300dpi to print. I suspect
they don't. Most printers will print whatever dpi you push them
(within reason).  It's likely the case that they simply request that
as a minimum because, for anything that isn't under a fundamental
resolution limitation like a screenshot, anything less will be of
noticeably lower quality once printed.

In this case, you'll be able to see the actual pixels if the
screenshots are printed large enough, but so what?  That's the "real"
image.  And, as mentioned before, you'll actually have their suggested
resolution for anything that's printed at 4x3 inches or smaller.

> No, why would it? It's just pixels, and this changes a single number
> in the picture file (if you adjust dpi without resampling).

This is a very important point.  Don't use any form of resampling when
you (if you must) change the dpi, or you'll wind up with a really
"high res" image that has blurry edges where they should be crisp. (If
there is no "don't resample" option, use "nearest neighbor", which
means the same thing.)