[sugar] Sugar datastore model

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Fri Oct 10 10:27:12 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
> There is a use case that concerns me at the moment:
>
> 1. An activity that allows a student to build a slideshow with music and
> voice tracks based on images taken with the XO camera (as well as png,
> svg, jpg from the internet or school library). How does the activity
> find available images on their XO to show as thumbnails? How does the
> activity find available sound files (mp3, ogg) for the student to choose
> for the sound tracks. Assume the activity builds a SMIL file to specify
> the slideshow. How does the activity generate persistent links to the
> image and sound files for later playback?

You can already take some photos taken with the camera or downloaded
from the net and make a collage in Write. Images are contained inside
the .odt document. Does this work correctly as is or can be improved?

> 2. Extend the above scenario to one in which a group of students
> collaborate to create a slideshow based on pictures and sound files they
> have on their own XOs. Suppose they pool their files into a commons.
> Does the commons consist of links to the files in their original
> locations (on different XOs)? Does the commons consist to files copied
> to the school server? How are persistent links from the SMIL file
> maintained in either case?

Most simple would be to always copy resources, instead of linking.
Otherwise things get quite complicated.

> 3. Suppose a student wants to take his XO home to show the collaborative
> slideshow to his parents. How does he/she request that the files
> referenced by the SMIL file be copied to his XO?

References like that scare me. OLE, OpenDoc, etc dealt with this, but
we are not MS nor Apple. Do we really need to deal with this issue
today? How could we do so?

> 4. How does a student know how much of his Nand is used/free?

See the palette of the journal icon in the home view.

> How can
> some/all of his files be moved to the schoolserver.

I think we want automatic backup of entries, plus perhaps a push button.

> What impact does
> this have on persistent links to these files?

No links, I hope.

Regards,

Tomeu