[sugar] [IAEP] sugar and the digital age (was Re: notes from the field - Mongolia)

Martin Dengler martin
Thu Oct 9 21:36:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 03:13:27AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am 09.10.2008 um 19:10 schrieb elana langer:
>
> > Essentially, in the minds of [teachers, parents, gov't officials],
> > fluency on windows, being able to do power point presentations and
> > surf the web is what being prepared means.

Indeed.  I think at least some consideration should be given to a
filesystem view leaking through to the Journal. And, or even: but,
those who believe that power point presentations are an important
part of being prepared are often quite convinced by power point
presentations or similar superficial attempts, so significant changes
to core UI might not be necessary to reassure them.  Even an activity
to copy files might be able to assuage their fears about the journal,
and those are easy enough to make (though see other discussions about
how the about-to-be-deployed journal is quite decent at the basic
to-and-from-USB file transfers).

> Kudos to the Sugar developers for not giving in to the crowd's
> pseudo-wisdom.

Hear, hear*

> - Bert -

Martin