[sugar] Home view

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Thu Oct 9 11:40:33 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Am 09.10.2008 um 14:20 schrieb Mikus Grinbergs:
>
>>> So, how about removing the list view and leaving that task to the
>>> Journal? It's a much more logical place anyway, the list view is
>>> basically a filtered view of the activity bundles in the Journal,
>>> right? So if the Journal allowed a filter to just show activities we
>>> would not need the list view and remove one point of confusion.
>>
>> When I install Activities I do so through 'sugar-install-bundle',
>> not through the Journal.  In this proposal, I would be left without
>> a GUI listing of the Activities installed on my system.  [I believe
>> a customization key does not journalize the Activities it installs,
>> either.]
>
> Well, it should. And using the command line should have the same
> result as using the GUI.
>
>> My perception of the list view in Home is "here is an user interface
>> specifically suited for the manipulation of activity bundles".  I'd
>> prefer to delete/upgrade/install activities through here, rather
>> than through Journal.  [The other views of Home show activity labels
>> only with hovering - I have way too many activities installed for me
>> to try to remember what each icon represents.]
>

> Good point. The favorites view should be able to show labels, too. But
> the list view gets in the way more often than it is useful for me (and
> using activities surely outweighs installing/removing activities by
> far).

I'm curious how it "gets in the way".  If you don't like it, you
needn't ever go there, right? Newly installed activities should be
starred by default. (I acknowledge the bug you bring up in which
that's not true via all installation methods.)

I think the list is useful for (extreme) scalability reasons, to see
the title, date, and perhaps later other information (versions,
author, etc) directly in the view, and simply as an accessibility
solution.

More importantly, the Home view is the first to receive the treatment,
but for 9.1 all zoom levels will have list views.  It's particularly
important in the Neighborhood, where the freeform layout will only be
able to show a subset of the available information.  Switching to the
list, however, will provide a neatly categorized and sorted view of
all the available people access points, and activities, which can be
scrolled or filtered.

- Eben