[sugar] naming, was Re: notes from the field - Mongolia

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Oct 9 03:32:31 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Yamandu Ploskonka <yamaplos at bolinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Word had something that compared looks as a genius feature,
>> that would set as default (editable) name for the .doc document the
>> first few words of the document, which usually is its title.
>
> This type of naming is up to the activity authors to provide, since
> doing something that makes sense depends on the context of the
> activity.  That said, you're right that we could probably do better in
> many of them.  Opening tickets for specific activities would be quite
> helpful!  Write is a good example.
>
>> Also, by default DOS would add a number when something repeated a name
>> already in the folder, thus at least we would have 'Write Activity 1',
>> different from 'Write Activity 2'.
>
> This, and the better default naming you mentioned above,  has been
> planned for a while, but hasn't been built yet.  See
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3900 and
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3225 for background.

Just updated those tickets with a note about how Browse is setting a
default title based on its content. Faisal, perhaps you could do a
recipe out of it?

Do we have a volunteer for doing the same in other activities?

Thanks,

Tomeu