[sugar] Viewing PDFs from Browse

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Wed Oct 8 08:55:03 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, this looks pretty cool, actually.  One powerful addition which I
> think is necessary in order to adopt this is the addition of a Keep
> button in that toolbar, by which one *could* download the pdf for
> offline reading later if wanted.

Yeah - the keep button is in my TODO list. However, something which
might be a bit confusing is the fact that when Browse accesses a PDF,
it creates an entry for that in the Journal, and once the user presses
the Keep button, yet another entry will be created - which can be
opened by Read later. Do you think two entries for the same thing
might be confusing ?

> In a similar vein, would it be possible to create a supplemental
> toolbar like this for other media types which browse specifically
> supports?  I could see having a similar UI for images, and a perhaps
> for audio and video, too.  The ability to view various formats
> directly, yet also have a one-click means to download the file, sounds
> promising.

For audio/video, it's definitely doable. I'm not sure about images,
since I think Browse has its own way of handling images.

> - Eben
>
> PS.  While I agree this is a nice thing to support in Browse, we'll
> need to make this change very clear, as teachers and kids are familiar
> with the current behavior which automatically downloads any .pdf
> clicked on.  We wouldn't want to confuse them when it doesn't appear
> in their Journal directly.

+1

Thanks,
Sayamindu

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It looks like reading PDF files from the web via Browse is a pain,
>> since, Browse saves the file to Journal, and then one has to go to the
>> Journal and open up the saved file via Read (#8330). Can we treat PDF
>> files like we handle media files (oggs mostly) by means of a Browse
>> plugin ?
>> I took a look at this during the weekend, and came up with a hack
>> which looks like
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/Screenshot_browse_pdf.png
>> I used mozplugger and a simple PDF viewer using the Evince python
>> bindings to make my work simpler.
>> Can this be a possible workaround till we find a better solution ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sayamindu
>>

>> --
>> Sayamindu Dasgupta