[sugar] Sugar USB testing

Martin Dengler martin
Wed Oct 8 00:20:23 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 10:02:57PM -0400, pgf at laptop.org wrote:
> marco pesenti gritti wrote:
>  > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > CCing the Sugar list.
>
> and adding devel.
>
>  > >
>  > > It seems that one of the problems we will be encountering with generic
>  > > spins is footprint. Even a standard Ubuntu without Sugar was seeming
>  > > too fat to load from a LiveCD on a Pentium 4 with 256K of DRAM.
>  >
>  > I'm planning to dogfood the Fedora LiveUSB and I'll have a look to
>  > memory usage while doing so. In principle, unless there are relevant
>  > memory costs given by running on a LiveUSB, I'd expect it to work
>  > decently.
>
> i've been curious for a while -- can we have a show of hands for
> how many people dogfood the existing XO s/w?

I do, but I'm not a developer, and I use compcache to help with the
memory pressure (though I typed "lsjournal" a few hours (!) ago and it
still hasn't unfrozen).

> i _really_ think we need to make the XO base _and_ sugar be a
> place that developers are comfortable living in.

That'd be cool.

> paul

Martin

PS - my only issue besides the non-inclusion of compcache (
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/28 ) is that Terminal's backspace doesn't
get processed correctly by screen otherwise I'd spend all my time in
Sugar.  Right now I switch between console/screen and
Sugar/Browse/whatever.