[sugar] alt-tabbing to the Journal

Erik Garrison erik
Tue Oct 7 09:30:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 08:55:09AM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> 1. When?  Nobody's cited examples where it's more desirable to use
> Alt-Tab than the dedicated key.
>
> I use Sugar as much on a non-XO as I do on an XO and so I often don't
> have a dedicated key to access the Journal. I would need to resort to
> opening the Frame and then clicking on the Journal icon--too many
> steps. Speaking personally, having come from the wonderful world of
> Emacs, I tend to be more comfortable with key sequences than using
> dedicated keys. Of course, in both cases, we are not talking about a
> novice user. But my rule of thumb is that the Journal should be easier
> to access, not harder. Removing it from the Alt-Tab sequence makes it
> that much harder to find.

Perhaps this has changed in more recent jhbuilds, but on the
sugar-emulator downloadable from the Ubuntu Hardy repositories, pressing
F4 gets me to the Journal.  F1-F3 are neighborhood through home view.  I
think it's a little strange that the relative layout of the keys is
different, but there does appear to be a dedicated key.

Erik