[sugar] Sugar USB testing

Walter Bender walter.bender
Sun Oct 5 12:37:15 EDT 2008

CCing the Sugar list.

It seems that one of the problems we will be encountering with generic
spins is footprint. Even a standard Ubuntu without Sugar was seeming
too fat to load from a LiveCD on a Pentium 4 with 256K of DRAM.
Although we didn't try it, I expect Fedora would present similar
challenges. I don't know how feasible it is to make a lean Fedora for
these use cases: Maybe the subset of packages we grab for the OLPC
image only. I defer to the magic that Dennis and Greg can yield.
Meanwhile, it is probably worth looking at some of the purposefully
small distros, such as TinyLinux, to see how bloated they get when we
build Sugar on top of them. It may be a good interim-term solution.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs