[sugar] another response time

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Wed Oct 1 03:28:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 2:39 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> Launched XaoS-2 (on 766).  The "activity is being launched" screen
> pulsed and pulsed for a couple of minutes.  I had definitely
> concluded that it would *never* launch, and that this was the "Sugar
> launch" timeout that kept the screen pulsing -- when suddenly the
> XaoS activity screen was drawn.  It is likely that some people will
> not have the patience to wait that loooong.  [How *could* they tell
> whether the pulsing would end well, or would not end well ?]

Hi Mikus,

as you probably installed previously the Wikipedia activity, my guess
is that the jffs2 gc thread was taking most of the CPU. Sadly, we can
expect greatly reduced overall system performance after any
significant allocation or deallocation of flash space.

This means to testers that before reporting any Sugar slowness, should
be checked with top that the jffs2 gc is not taking cpu.

It's not my area, but I guess this only will be solved when we move to
another fs, hopefully by 9.1.

Thanks,

Tomeu