[sugar] Announce: Spanish Wikipedia snapshot activity.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Mon May 26 11:26:02 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Tomeu,
>
>   > Ok, this is a bug that was partially improved for u1 but some of
>   > the improvements were parked until u2 because were too invasive at
>   > the time. Current joyride should be better and one more fix is
>   > about to land in there.
>
> Have we considered just spawning unzip instead of using Python code?
> That would let the scheduler take care of the responsiveness for us.

We are actually using unzip for expanding the bundle, but I think that
for extracting some metadata from inside the bundle we are using
zipfile. Not sure in this case what's the case. Are you sure that the
operation that blocks the UI is the unzipping of the bundle?

>   > What cannot be fixed in sugar is the time that takes to be written
>   > and read from flash. Not compressing the zip would help on
>   > that. Any chance we can get into the august release the ability to
>   > mark files in jffs2 as "don't compress please"?
>
> I've added a comment to http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2886.  I think we
> should target this at the August release, if it looks straightforward
> to Dave.

Thanks! There are other performance areas that would benefit from this.

Tomeu