[sugar] View Source

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn
Tue May 20 11:48:37 EDT 2008

> IMHO view-source should be a system-level operation, not an activity.
> It might be just a different view, like the four zoom levels we have
> now, but you "zoom into" the innards of the current activity. And also
> it wouldn't just be "view-source" but "edit-and-continue", letting you
> patch little things without even restarting the activity or Sugar.
> IIRC, Guido posted Python code for on-the-fly module reloading a while
> back.

This is an interesting idea, but a big chore. If it were to happen, I think
that the best way towards this goal would be to begin to explore the design
issues (UI, security, and basic model) by making a single, self-modifying,
on-the-fly reloading activity - that is, something along the lines of adding
on-the-fly-reload capability to Pippy. Once the (many) issues were resolved
in this context, we could talk about moving it into glucose. This would make
a great computer science thesis for somebody.

For the near term, I think we should continue to think in terms of separate
activities, and a traditional debug cycle (recode-relaunch-find
problem-repeat).