[sugar] Experiments with Metacity

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Mon May 19 06:00:21 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta
>> <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was playing around with the possibility of replacing the current
>>> Sugar WM - Matchbox with Metacity (this will, as I understand, enable
>>> stock desktop applications run better within Sugar).
>>> Certain things do break if we just drop in Metacity in place of
>>> Matchbox, but it looks like with some changes in the code (Sugar code,
>>> I would try to avoid changing Metacity code), we might actually get
>>> something useful.
>>> Marco had started a page on this topic sometime back -
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/WindowManagement, and I have updated this
>>> page with my findings.
>>
>> Yay!
>>
>>> Setting the window to be fullscreen (via set_fullscreen())does not seem to work, since it stops the frame from popping up, and also an icon to exit fullscreen appears at the top right corner. One possible solution to this is to make the activity window undecorated (we do not need maximise/minimize/resize buttons), and making their height/width equal to the dimensions of the screen.
>>
>> This would need to be done by each activity or the window manager, or
>> can be done by the shell?
>
> Maximize + undecorated might work. It has to be done by each activity.
> The only alternative I can think about is to add an option to metacity
> to make all toplevel windows undecorated and fullscreen. That would
> not play nicely with stuff like the GIMP or even simple/small
> applications like GNOME calculator.

I tried to do that (maximize() and then set_decorated(False)). As soon
as I set the window to undecorated, it seems to assume fullscreen
properties (with the full screen icon popping up on the top right). Is
there any convention which signifies maximized + undecorated =
fullscreen ?

Cheers,
Sayamindu

--