[sugar] On the Naming of Sugar

Ludovic FERRE ludovic.ferre
Sat May 17 10:29:16 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 17:20 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> I've posted your taxonomy here:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy
>
> -walter

I added a block diagram view of the software stack, also shown below.
It's not the prettiest of diagrams but I hope it's a fair representation
of the Sugar stack using the taxonomy suggested by Ben.

The only issue I have is with the OS/Ribose layer, as I would prefer to
see a platform independent Sugar stack (and the current definition of
Ribose ties the OS and Bootstrap to the XO).

    | SWEET: The abstract design of the interface                   |

    | STARCH: A complete disk image for Sugar                       |
    |  +---------------------------------------------------------+  |
    |  | SUCROSE:  The interface, plus a set                     |  |
    |  |           of demonstration activities                   |  |
    |  |                                                         |  |
    |  | +------------------------------+ +--------------------+ |  |
    |  | | FRUCTOSE: A set of demo      | |                    | |  |
    |  | |           activities         | |                    | |  |
    |  | |                              | |                    | |  |
    |  | +------------------------------+ |                    | |  |
    |  | +--------------------------------+                    | |  |
    |  | | GLUCOSE: The base Sugar environment                 | |  |
    |  | OPERATING SYSTEM               +-----------------+     |   |
    |  |                                | RIBOSE          |     |   |

    | HARDWARE                                                      |