[sugar] On the Naming of Sugar

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Sat May 17 07:14:52 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>> To resolve this, I am going to attempt to list a number of important,
>> distinct digital objects that this work has produced. I will also
>> introduce cutesy codenames.  I hope that the Sugar developers will adopt a
>> clear set of distinct names, and I do not care if they choose these names
>> or other names.
>
> Excellent, we really needed this. My only (minor) concern is that so
> many codenames might confuse casual observers or contributors.
>
> What about using some composited terms instead of a single chemical one?
>
> For example, instead of Sucrose, demonstration package?

Let's talk about a concrete case.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Roadmap

Changes I'd make to use Ben taxonomy:

* In the schedule section s/Sugar/Sucrose
* Split the moduleset section in Glucose moduleset and Fructose moduleset.
* In the tickets session s/Sugar core/Fructose. Or perhaps two items,
Glucose tickets and Fructose tickets.

How does it sound? Alternative proposals?

Marco