[sugar] OLPC priorities for Sugar in the August release

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Wed May 14 16:35:21 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
<ypod at mit.edu> wrote:

> Eben Eliason wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
> > <ypod at mit.edu> wrote:
> >

> > > Are there any plans to provide a command-line based interface to
> managing UI
> > > options such as share/join/leave/invite? I would argue that in the long
> run
> > > it would be faster to type something like "join write by Tom" which
> would
> > > have the same effect as many point-and-click actions in order to join
> the
> > > write activity that tom started (or which Tom is participating in now).
> > >

> > This is an interesting idea, though I hope that we can make the
> > search/filter UI strong enough to make it almost redundant.  For
> > instance, typing in simply "Write Tom" should turn up all instances of
> > write which have participants named Tom in them (plus some other
> > stuff, potentially).  Typing something more specific like
> > "activity:write starter:tom" would find more precise results.  If we
> > can make that filter nearly instant, it would simply take /one/ click
> > to join the appropriate activity.  The search field is focused when
> > arriving in the view anyway, so even from within an activity it only
> > takes one extra keystroke (mesh button) to initiate this process.  (I
> > recognize that pressing enter would be faster than even this single
> > click, but at the same time wonder how frequently we could have 100%
> > certainty of what a given command intends, since the usernames and
> > activity names are not guaranteed to be unique anyway.)
> >

>  Oh, that's great! Then there is no need for a separate command line. Then,
> how about extending the functionality of Search with escaped commands like
> "/join ..." a-la-irc? Also, would it make sense to show a similar command
> line in views other than just the mesh view, such as in the activity?

My concerns for uniqueness still apply, but I wouldn't be opposed to
extending the with advanced search/filter/(and even command) syntax in
the future.  The places this would apply up front would be all three
zoom levels, and the Journal, it seems.

- Eben