[sugar] Help building and running sugar

James Simmons jim.simmons
Tue May 13 16:54:52 EDT 2008

Gustavo,

The first few lines look like normal messages.  The real problem, I
think, is pointed to by this last traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/gob/sugar-jhbuild/install/bin/sugar-shell", line 30, in <module>
    from main import main
  File "/home/gob/sugar-jhbuild/install/share/sugar/shell/main.py",
line 23, in <module>
    import numpy
ImportError: No module named numpy

"numpy" is the Numeric Python module.  You may be able to install this
with apt-get install numpy.  Sugar-jhbuild in my own case identified
numpy as a required module before it even ran the "build" step, but it
may not be doing that anymore.  In any case, it looks like Sugar can
build itself without numpy but can't run without it.

James Simmons