[sugar] the ring

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Wed May 7 09:28:10 EDT 2008

> It was terrible to lose the pie chart for resource usage.
> That was very useful for both developers and kids.

Was indication (by the ring) of resource usage actually released to
users?  My G1G1 showed only fixed-width pie slices.

Here is an opportunity for a new "user-information" Activity.
A 'log viewer' already exists;  why not a 'resource viewer'?

> The new design makes the loss permanent, while
> still keeping a visual design that no longer makes any sense.

I like the new design.  I can choose which Activity-icons are shown
by the ring.  That means I have to go into the 'list' view much less
often than in the old design I had to "scroll" its Activity-icons.

Also, as others have mentioned, the currently "running" Activities
can be seen (or switched to) anytime by bringing up the Frame --
without having to EXIT the current screen to bring up Home view.

mikus

p.s.  I see that the *order* of the icons in the ring can change
       when Sugar is restarted.  I liked it that in the old design
       I could manually adjust the ordering of the Activity-icons.

pps.  The 'list' view appears to not include a Shutdown entry.
       If my last use of Activity Management was in 'list', F3 takes
       an extra click (to switch to 'ring') to get to Shutdown.