[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Gary C Martin gary
Fri May 2 09:02:08 EDT 2008

On 2 May 2008, at 10:57, Samuel Klein wrote:

> SJ,
> who still wants the "hand" buttons to be mapped to the right and left
> mouse-clicks in addition to any other keymapping.

Sorry, not me ? I **really** want the hand keys implemented with the
original intended scrolling behaviour. Perhaps once the Sugar GUI
control panel is fully implemented you could submit a patch for this
as an alternate behaviour.

I do agree that the current 2 trackpad buttons** are less than great,
but easy scrolling/panning of documents is a bigger win I think
especially given the jumpy trackpad issues. Perhaps for XO-2 hardware
the trackpad buttons could be dropped and replaced with new real keys?
I find I usually need to use two hands already with the current set-
up, especially for drag'n'drop operations, or when testing paint type
'hold the button down and move at the same time'. Maybe it's just my
adult size hands/fingers, would be good to get some real kids feedback
here from some of the live sites ? but I'm guessing kids are having
the same problem as me.

** what was the decision behind having 2 buttons considering the
available physical space and additional UI complexity? It's not like
there are legacy educational applications that require 2 buttons.