[sugar] some new matchbox rpm testing results

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Wed Mar 26 05:52:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>  Assuming this is additive in the measurements you took, though, is there
>  any reason that it needs to be?  What composited operations do we want
>  to be able to perform?  If we're only really trying to speed up things
>  like overlaying windows or the frame on top of a base window, can we get
>  away with asking matchbox to only composite on top of the currently
>  shown window?

We are considering to iconify/unmap "inactive" windows which would
have that effect.

>    > After launching etoys (which didn't seem to want to draw itself,
>    > but dunno if that's my build or the compositing) and stopping it,
>
>  I see the following in one of the latest matchbox commit messages, might
>  be relevant:
>
>  "compositor now compiles again - but dont work 100%"
>
>  Michael mentioned that etoys doesn't work for him either, and that
>  Record is failing to render its Xvideo window sometimes too.

Yeah mb1 compositor is not great, Matthew warned us about it in the
past and suggest to wait for mb2. We could see if it's possible to
fixup mb1 compositor or consider to switch to mb2 or to another window
manager altogether (metacity?) if we want compatibility with desktop
applications.

Marco