[sugar] Mini-Conference Proposal: Toolbars & Tabs (or lack thereof)

Nate Ridderman nate.ridderman
Tue Mar 25 16:20:02 EDT 2008

Eben,

By no means do I consider myself a user interface expert, but I have a few
comments.

In general, I agree that this proposal is better for localization and may
take up less screen real estate. Would there still be default buttons to
share, keep, and/or stop the activity? I believe it's important to have an
easy way to stop the current activity, but maybe you have this accounted for
elsewhere in the frame redesign. I haven't had a chance to build and test
Tomeu's branches yet. It looked like activities could be stopped from the
frame, but no preference was given to the current activity.  I'm not sure if
this is convenient enough. If a stop button is required, and perhaps a share
button and a keep button, this will eat up space and require most activities
to use a secondary toolbar.

Another concern would be porting an activity like Calculate that has
numerous tabs of text based buttons. It's reasonable to create graphical
icons for the tabs (Edit, Algebra, Trig, Booleans, Constants, Format) but
not for some of the actual buttons (sin, cos, tan, asin, acos, atan, sinh,
cosh, tanh) Are you proposing that all text should be removed from the
toolbar or is it acceptable to have some text based icons? If text based
icons are allowed, do we need the option of localizing them? I'm not sure,
for example, how trigonometric functions are represented in other languages.

Finally, this requires someone with good graphical design skills to create
icons for complex activities that can't just reuse the template icons. My
point is that it's easy for programmers to create text based buttons, but
graphical ones will require more (and a different kind of) work.

Thanks,
Nate