[sugar] State of Update.1, March 24, 2008

Michael Stone michael
Mon Mar 24 02:20:34 EDT 2008

Folks,

First, thanks are due to kreneskyp, sayamindu, uwog, dgilmore, rsmith,
marco, wad, rwh, and hhardy for contributing to the state of our
knowledge of Update.1 by updating tickets in Trac. Everyone else: get
behind us, review these bugs, and help push out this release! See

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_setup_for_Update.1_builds

for rough-cut instructions on how to try out update.1-70x builds.

Next, the good news: thus far, q2d14 functions as advertised (allowing
us to close #5422/#6245) and I have heard good things about
telepathy-salut-0.2.3-1 (including how wad intends to put it through the
wringer tomorrow). I remain hopeful that the localizations in
olpc-library-core-1-23, olpc-library-common-1-23, and the Spanish
console keyboard will satisfy our Spanish-speaking clients.
Spanish-speakers: please test these facts, report back to us, and update
#6685 and #5841!

Then, the bad news: in a fascinating conversation with the support-gang
(yay, support-gang!), it was made plain to me that recent Update.1
builds have received little or no testing by folks who aren't building
them. In light of this datum, we should consider the question: "who do
we want to persuade to try out U.1 and what support do they need from
us?"

With this question in mind, Henry and I have opened #6747 based on a
short list of "places that a novice user encountering U.1 unprepared
might go looking for help". A brief survey of these loci showed how
truly hard it is to find accurate information about U.1 and its
audience, strengths, limitations, and escape routes.

Last but not least, the Update.1 Release Notes which Kim was kind enough
to stub out for us at

  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Update.1_Software_Release_Notes

could really use your help. Please assist in writing them in as you are
able.

Thank you very much,

Michael

P.S. - Are we all in agreement that we intend to take what we've got in
hand now rather than holding U.1 any further while we seek answers to
our presently unanswered networking, performance, and power management
questions? Speak now or forever hold your peace...

Bug Summary
===========

Within reach

#6685     TST    sj          (library bundle localization)
#6245     FIN    richard     (system firmware update issue)
#5422     FIN    richard     (boot even if firmware needs update)
#6575     TST    collabora   (chat receives message but can't send anymore)
#6707     TST    collabora   (probable dup of 6575; maybe new)
#5841     FIN    dgilmore    (spanish and portuguese keyboards)

Probably beyond reach

#6299     TST    wad         (salut backoff when gabble running), needs to be tested on a big mesh;
#6170     BLD    uwog        (shared write crashes)
#6407     ???    marco       (Write crashes when sharing and add an image) (probably a dup of #6170)
#4153     DBG    wad         (connect to linklocal instead of schoolmesh) see also #5963
#5848     DBG    marco       (network manager failure)
#6586     DBG    dwmw2       (wireless scan failure, reproducible, dwmw2 on it)
#1407     ???    dilinger    (Touchpad recalibration should be forced under some circumstances.)
#2804     SGN    bernie      (Cursor sometimes goes strange)
#6050     ???    uwog        (Arabic is broken in Write)
#6572     STK    collabora   (key hash in mdns, new tiny patch, needs review)
#6483     DBG    mstone      (read sharing broken)

Important Activity/Content Changes

#6716     DBG    erikb       (record fails to share audio)
#6672     TST    bdoin       (gnuchess gcompris in /home)
#6673     ???    Nat         (tamtam broken in /home)
#6708     TST    cjb         (new pippy to deal with moved tamtam)
#6689     ESC    cscott      (provide means to customize ~olpc/.i18n)
#6475     FIN    morgs       (pull in new pippy required by salut changes in #6299) fixed in build-700, Pippy-19.xo
#6521     TST    Nat         (tam tam has new translations)
#5036     STK    kreneskyp   (Master build addition of Watch & Listen activity)
#4593     MSG    kreneskyp   (localization for Watch and listen, blocked on #5036)

Key: ??? - status or author unknown
     TST - needs to be tested in a build
     BLD - needs to be put into a build
     PKG - pkg needs to be built
     DBG - debugging/diagnosis still needed
     STK - stuck; a decision is needed about how to proceed
     SGN - a signoff is needed
     ESC - canceled or siginificantly reduced in priority
     FIN - successfully finished
     MSG - communication needed

P.S. - ??? means that I don't know what's going on in a bug. Please
fix this. Now. Thanks.

P.P.S. - Some new reporting techniques that may be useful for keeping
tabs on our progress:

  http://dev.laptop.org/report/11  - Bugs tagged release? with recent changes
  http://dev.laptop.org/report/12  - Details of recent changes to bugs tagged release?