[sugar] Summer of Code update, meeting tomorrow 2100 UTC

Samuel Klein sj
Fri Mar 21 20:48:01 EDT 2008

Dear all,

We are participating in Google Summer of Code again this year, and now
accepting applications from mentors.  We are holding the first of a series
of quick discussions about SoC tomorrow (saturday) at 2100 UTC / 1700 EST in
#olpc.  Please join us to share advice to share from SoC's past, find out
about applying to be a mentor or student, or to satisfy your curiosity.

GSoC is a particularly good way for local groups working on cool software in
different countries to get involved intensely in OLPC work over the summer;
you don't have to travel to participate, and members of existing teams can
apply to take up a specific project under an OLPC mentor.

There will be a SoC mailing list for people who want to discuss details
(which the accepted mentors and interns can use to discuss their work); I'll
post again when that is set up.

In the meantime, if you know people who
* are working at or with a school using XOs in the classroom
* have been working on XO-related development, or have submitted a project
proposal in the past
* are currently thinking about how to promote OLPC or support its mission in
their part of the world,
* have been actively involved in your neighborhood OLPC interest group,

Please encourage them to apply to either mentor (if they have skills and
time to help students develop their own ideas) or be a GSoC student (if they
have a software / activity idea of their own).

Mentorship applications are open now:
  http://code.google.com/soc/2008/mentor_step1.html

Student applications will be open starting on Monday, for only one week.
  http://code.google.com/soc/2008/

A few would-be students have contacted me by mail or phone to talk about
potential GSoC projects; you are all welcome to do so over the coming week.

Cheers,
SJ
+1 617 529 4266

ps - feel free to translate this into other languages and pass it on to
regional mailing lists (or post the translations as well to
grassroots at lists.laptop.org)