[sugar] Interested in the Google Summer of Code

Assim Deodia assim.deodia
Fri Mar 21 12:54:14 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I have been working on Speech Synthesis for past few months starting from
Summer of Content. I wish to undertake the Listen and Spell project for
Google summer of code.

Listen and Spell would be a self voicing activity that would help children
to learn new words, improve spellings and pronunciation. The activity would
speak out a word and user is expected to spell it correctly. After the user
submits the word, activity would speak it out . This would let user to
"feel" the difference between his and the correct spelling. The activity is
based on the idea of TalknType (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talkntype ).

The application would use speech-dispatcher for voicing whose rpm is under
review process and would soon be approved. I have already got approved its
dependency dotconf RPM.

I wish to use Words activity (
http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/words/Words-2.xo<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Ecjb/words/Words-2.xo>.
) to generate the word list to be spoken out. This multi-lingual dictionary
would be a great tool to add other different languages in the activity. It
will also help in implementing the "Hint" feature which would speak out
either the word meaning or its usage as a hint to user.

The activity will also support user defined word list which would be useful
for spelling test at school level (or as a game between two or more user
over mesh network). The activity can also be used as memorizing tool as many
people learn more by hearing things.

I have created a wiki page ( http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Listen_and_Spell )
for the describing the basis idea of the activity and discussed some of its
features. I would like to know your suggestion about the
proposed features and their feasibility in XO or any other ideas to include.
I would also like to know if anyone can mentor me for this project in GSoC.

--
Regards
Assim Deodia