[sugar] next sugar meeting: text-to-speech

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant
Wed Mar 19 08:01:06 EDT 2008

Hi all,

My apologies for not being present for this sugar meeting (my school exams
got over today).

* santhosh and HFactor present Dhvani, a text-to-speech system for
> indian languages.
>    o santhosh has already worked into integrating Dhvani into Speech
> Dispatcher.

This is great news! The packaging of speech dispatcher and dotconf is going
on, and we'll pick up some speed now that we are free from exams. One of the
dependencies of speech-dispathcer,DOTCONF is already approved and the author
of the package has been sponsored by a FEDORA Packaging mentor. The next
package to be accepted will be speech-dispatcher.

> in today meeting we have agreed on the convenience of having a meeting
> mainly focused on the use of text-to-speech systems in Sugar. If
> everybody agree, will take place Tuesday March 25 at 15.00 UTC.

Brilliant,! I've added a few points that I think I would like to discuss
with the sugar team.

I'm sending this to the Accessibility list in the hope that someone
> will be interested in contributing in this area.
>
> If you are interested in attending, please add to the attendants and
> topics in:
>

> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_dev_meeting#Tuesday_March_25_2008_.28.22TTL-meeting.22.29_exceptional_time:_15.00_.28UTC.29

Just for an update, I tried running orca with speech-dispatcher and at a
high level it worked fine. However since we have not been able to integrate
basic speech synthesis in sugar, I have avoided researching about this
option just yet.

Thank you for keeping a special meeting for TTS!

Best,
Hemant