[sugar] icon assistance/validation

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Tue Mar 18 16:13:02 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2008, at 19:20 , Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>  > Again, this is usually the fault of the stroke translucency,
>  > since the stroke overlaps the fill by half its width, causing a
>  > layered effect.  Our only potential uses for this are (opaque stroke,
>  > translucent fill) and (translucent stroke, transparent fill).  That
>  > is, at no time will we ever use a translucent stroke in conjunction
>  > with any fill at all, which is where you run into odd looking results.
>

>  Unless some icon designer used the (now translucent) fill color for a
>  stroke. Or let strokes overlap, which will look odd as well.
>
>  That, and the fact that alpha-blending will take more cycles than
>  using solid colors, is that not enough reason to ditch that opacity
>  idea? If you insist on it, icon designers will have to make sure their
>  strokes won't ever overlap, which can of course be achieved by boolean
>  geometry, but this is much harder to do correct than what is required
>  now.

I can remove the stroke-opacity altogether.  As mentioned before, I
don't have any particular goal in mind with respect to that
property...I just implemented it at the same time as fill-opacity
because it was easy to add.  I do want to keep the fill-opacity so we
can take advantage of it in the future, though.  It is something that
may not be implemented immediately, but would make the code much
cleaner once we are able to support it.

- Eben