[sugar] icon assistance/validation

Gary C Martin gary
Tue Mar 18 11:37:35 EDT 2008

On 18 Mar 2008, at 14:40, Eben Eliason wrote:

> Perhaps we could even remove "strokes in the fill color" from the
> ruleset, as I don't believe I myself nor anyone else thus far has used
> them.

If I understand your description here, I'm pretty sure I'm using them
to get crisp icon detail within the current design constraints ? the
effect in the home ring was particularly poor without, if I remember
correctly (no doubt some other hack to get a strobe** working there):

	http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=activities/moon;a=tree;f=activity

And I must admit I have the same concerns as Bert about using alpha on
the vector artwork, I've seen a bunch folks do this in Flash UI's and
effects, and they usually look like s#@t on a stick.

** Much as I like a SMOOTH strobe effect, the XO as I understand it is
really poor at transparency processing (HW can support it, but like so
many things, the SW support isn't there yet). So it's slow to the
point that the strobe effect had to be dialled down to the current
jerky flick book effect, making the machine look even slower (though
activities do launch slightly faster for the change). Is there perhaps
a more efficient, less hacky way to provide a 'launching' visual
metaphor (at least until sugar gets HW transparency and a compositing
API). Is a simple blinking effect at 1 or 2Htz between un-launched and
launched colours a possibility? Or is that too much like a potential
activity attention/notification type effect (say a person joins a non-
front chat session, or someone takes a new photo in a non-front shared
record session)?

> In that case, would you mind testing it out a bit (even should you
> remain one who wants to create them by hand in the future), just so I
> can get some practical feedback on the performance, robustness, and
> usability of the tool?  Thanks!

I'll also take a look at some point, though so far I prefer hand
coding these simple shapes given the design spec. I used to be a fan
of Illustrator but it's just too expensive to justify unless you're a
heavy user, and Inkscape is feature rich but is borderline too clunky
and lumbering to work with.

I'm sure I spotted, in some dusty part of the wiki, someone writing a
simple SVG drawing activity ? at the time I thought it was to aid
drawing shapes for activity icons, but I may have misread. Any one
know the status of it?