[sugar] Speeding up activity launches.

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Wed Mar 5 11:29:43 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Ivan Krsti?
<krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2008, at 8:39 PM, Chris Ball wrote:
>  > I think having something working will be the only thing
>  > that motivates resourcing any security work that's needed alongside
>  > it.
>
>  +1.

Ok, I realize how important this is, but I really think that this task
needs to be carried by several people, as it impacts different
components in the system.

What do we need to do:

1 Fix async D-Bus methods. I'm quite lost on this. Calls made or
processed asynchronously won't return to the client. The call is
received correctly by the service, and the server-side callback is
called. But the client never gets a reply. This is the only message in
the logs:

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible
causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the
message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

Sync calls work fine, tested using the same dbus connection. I'm
cc'ing Robert in the hope that he will find someone who can help debug
this one.

2 Integrate correctly in Rainbow. Michael pointed some problems with
the patch, but I don't really know rainbow's architecture well enough
to make a decision on that.

3 Make sure this doesn't introduce holes in the security framework. I
know basically nothing about security.

For getting "something working" we just need to fix 1. 2 and 3 are
needed to get it into a release.

Any ideas?

Tomeu