[sugar] feature freeze coming

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Thu Jun 19 13:33:28 EDT 2008

Basically, I approve in principle everything on this list, and would
like to see it all get in.  I've inserted a couple of minor
comments/requests below.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Martin Dengler
<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> I've ordered these in decreasing order of likelihood of being accepted
> (IMO) for ease of triaging, and then have provided links to the git
> trees (clearly I will mail the ML as usual, if I haven't but might be
> quicker for triage).
>
> Features:
>
> - #2954 - patch Browse and Read for cursor hiding in handheld mode.
>   Mature patch, the approach was verbally ok'ed by eben & bemasc and
>   hasn't been shouted down by marco/tomeu recently :)
>   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar-toolkit;a=commitdiff;h=bb8f54e9bfad18699386cf814ca2c592ca0d258f

This actually applies to all python activities, right?  I've been
wanting this for a while.

> - #7249 - device ordering in the Frame is not fixed.  Not submitted
>   before but quite trivial to accept/reject the design.
>   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar;a=commitdiff;h=aec9692c7c3d146e512d1c873de0082b09902d7c

How would this work in conjunction with the future ability to manually
rearrange the device tray?  Do we need/want the modules to declare
their position at all anyway, or should we instead store a list (as
would be needed for manual positioning anyway) and set the defaults
indices (simple integer index) there?  This could be a simpler short
term solution until we have a truly modular (a la control panel)
device system.

> - #6995 - Add a mesh device to frame, remove mesh icons from
>   Neighbourhood/Mesh view.  This might take some time to stabilize as
>   it's non-trivial to really test, but eben seems keen on the
>   functionality and want it in. No patch yet (but can get a flavor of
>   the UI from the commits mentioned below).
>   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar;a=shortlog;h=mesh-icon
>   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar;a=commitdiff;h=0580693dbc857c2c09a22cc717c69a02c85ec1fb
>   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar;a=commitdiff;h=abe8cb96ad18ee894d5930bed0a4f7079ea9201b

I know you've been working toward the mockups, which is all I can
really ask for right now.  I think that the "connected to a school
mesh portal" string would work better as the secondary text of the
primary palette, instead of a separate section.  I'd prefer
simplifying the language: how about "simple mesh", "school mesh", and
"" (no secondary label) for the three states (the third being that
there is no mesh/turned off)?

Also, make sure that the mesh devices get removed completely from
Neighborhood view!

> - #2651 - Add an option to the journal for duplicating an entry.  Old
>   patch but without feedback.
>   https://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/2651/2651-0001-Add-Duplicate-this-entry-to-the-Copy-icon-s-palett.patch

I like the idea.  Let's simplify the language to just "Duplicate
entry" (or even just "Duplicate"?) instead.

>> Also, please remind to the list any bug fixes already with code
>> waiting to get in after the feature freeze.

Clearly all the bug fixes should make it in!

> Bugfixes:
> - #7248.1 - speaker icon doesn't show 33 and 66% levels.
>   patches (sugar & sugar-toolkit) submitted, very trivial
>   http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-June/006472.html
>   http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-June/006473.html
>
> - #7248.2 - speaker icon flips to unmuted from muted most of the time
>   the palette is shown; not submitted, still being debugged, should be
>   very localized and low-risk.
>
> - #7248.3 - speaker icon should unmute when volume set to > 0:
>   trivial, patch not submitted but in my d.l.o sugar git tree
>   http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/mdengler/sugar;a=commitdiff;h=5f54d8e6375508a88752a7a041caf56a10c9c55b

- Eben