[sugar] Build streams

Martin Dengler martin
Fri Jun 13 08:00:36 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:36:51PM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Finally, finally, Joyride 2024 managed to 'make available to users'
> some of the newer Sugar changes (packaged in a build, as opposed to
> only available in source).

So you want to see new sugar (sucrose?) code on your XO but only if
it's been pushed to an OLPC build?  I'd say you need to complain to
SugarLabs/sugar@ to make it easier to get new code to deployed systems
without requiring the downstream packagers (e.g., OLPC, ubuntu, etc.)
to do a whole new distribution.

> I'm interested in how the new Sugar behaves on my XO . . .

If you relax your restriction to using OLPC builds it's pretty easy /
durable (in the short term, in the usual case, YMMV but I've been
doing it) to just symlink a few dirs to a git clone (e.g., mv
/usr/share/sugar/shell /usr/share/sugar/shell.orig && ln -s
/home/olpc/sugar-clone/src /usr/share/sugar/shell && cp
/usr/share/sugar/shell{.orig,}/config.py) to really try to catch the
bleeding edge.  But it really is the bleeding edge, and if you are
worried about that not getting into builds enough you should complain
to sugar@, as I mentioned above, I think.

> mikus

Martin