[sugar] Avoid duplicates in the bundle registry

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Tue Jun 10 08:17:25 EDT 2008

> Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait until some real testing is done for
> 8.2 in order to reach an agreement on what we should do with bundle
> management.

I handle duplicates in the activity bundle registry by religiously
using something like the 'sugar-forget-bundle' script.  Besides,
these days Joyride reboot is doing a good job of clearing no longer
installed Activities from that registry.

What I __wish__ for is that handling the bundle registry be made
bulletproof.  I've seen scripts work for user 'olpc', but fail for
user 'root'.  And the scripts have caniptions when they expect the
xxx.activity directory, but it isn't found (or don't expect it, and
it *is* found).  Plus some calls to "dbus services" seem to fail for
indirect reasons (e.g., net connection lost, or X not initialized).

mikus  (G1G1 user)

p.s.  In my opinion, the wiki has either too much or too little
information regarding adding/removing bundles to one's running
system.  I can handle Activity bundle installs to
/home/olpc/Activities (I use 'sugar-install-bundle').  If I have to
replace an Activity bundle in /usr/share/sugar/activities, I just
unzip the new version on top of the old one.  If there is an
obsolete bundle in /usr/share/activities/bundle-archive, I 'rm' it.

p.p.s.  Have not yet gotten around to trying out symbolic links to
some Activities (so I can physically keep them on a removable
device, and out of /home/olpc).  But what I don't understand at all
is how/why .xol bundles are supposed to be handled - I consider them
to be "auxiliary", and not part of the "base system".  [I don't want
/home/olpc/Library taking up space in nand.  Nor do I like nand
space in /usr/share being taken up by 'libraries' -- I provide a
"permanent" SD card for that very purpose.]